Thursday, June 12, 2008

Thing # 15 Corner Spot

Library 2.0 defines a way in which patrons can access information. In viewing the video, " A Vision of Students Today", students would rather download a book or search on the internet, than read a printed copy. It reminds me that I need to get some weeding done. Michael Stephens made a good point when he stated that in the new world of librarianship, libraries should breakdown barriers and allow a user access to wherever they are. Just think, who would have thought I would have been taking staff development online from the convenience of my own home and having fun to boot. If I run into a problem, I could contact a librarian for help from home. This is what I call user access at its best! Rick Anderson stated in the article, "Away from the Iceberg", that it may no longer make sense to "collect" in the traditional sense. The students and staff will expect to access resources in digital format. Even though our library circulation is still up,I can see that libraries as we knew in times past as books, card catalog, and filmstrips are being revolutionized into online catalogs, wikis, ebooks, youtube, and more!

1 comment:

Budget said...

With all the great technology available, there's nothing better than having a librarian in the library to help all the patrons with their needs (whether it's online, offline, book related or not).